Wednesday, December 29, 2010

'Twas the Night Before Christmas

I know a lot of people have Christmas Eve traditions...but the truth is, we don't (yet).  And this year Auntie Sarah (my sister-in-law) invited us over for a big authentic Italian Christmas Eve dinner...and who could say no to that?!  So we hung out there for the night...great food and being with family...nothing better (not many pictures because we really just enjoyed the night)!

I am including this picture we took right before leaving for dinner because it is the ONLY picture we took of the all the kids in front of the tree!  It was hectic on Christmas morning with the girls ripping through presents and Timmy not even wanting to open anything.  I'll get to all that later, but I still can't believe I didn't have them sit there for just a quick shot before all of the craziness began!
Notice our ornaments are only on the top half of the tree.  When we decorated, it was the opposite...everything was on the very bottom, but as more and more ornaments were being broken everyday, they eventually moved to the top!  We also couldn't put presents under the tree this year until Christmas Eve because the kids couldn't resist opening them!    


When we got home, it was time to leave out some milk and cookies for Santa!  We've never had a special cookie plate for Santa before...last year we literally used a paper plate with Christmas stickers and wrote a note to Santa on it.  This year we made a plate with the kids' hand and thumb prints on it.  It's not exactly like I had envisioned (it's supposed to be a wreath with berries on it), but nonetheless, they are my babies' handprints, so I love it anyway....I'm sappy like that!  I can't wait to take it out at Christmas time every year and remember how little the kids were,  how much fun they were at this age, and how exciting Christmas was this year!    


We also left food out front for the reindeer.  Auntie Sarah has given the kids reindeer food every year for Christmas Eve and the kids love deciding where to sprinkle it.  Kallie also had to specifically leave a carrot out for Rudolph this year and thought A LOT about where to leave it!  I should have got a picture of that...the kids are so funny right now!  I was surprised at how much the kids seem to understand and "get" the whole Christmas thing...they were giddy with excitement and running around screaming and laughing.  It wasn't exactly easy getting them to settle down and go to bed, so Tim and I, errrr uh, I mean Santa Claus had a later night than expected ;)  But so worth it when it was all done!  I'm actually not sure who was more excited for Christmas morning...the kids or mommy and daddy! 

 The train table was Timmy's big present from Santa.  And it was all he really needed...he didn't care about anything else!

  

2 comments:

Ami said...

Okay, several things-the photo of the kids in front of the tree is adorable! Second-I'm totally cracking up because our tree is also only decorated on the top 1/3, nor could we put any presents under the tree until Christmas morning. Third- LOVE your handprint wreath plate! I may have to borrow your idea! (Frankly as a kindergarten teacher for so many years, I'm wondering how I never thought of a wreath?? ) It's so cute! I think you have GREAT traditions!

The Alexanders said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE the santa cookie plate...I may have to copy this idea :)